Sunday, August 10, 2008

E is for Eighties!

Yes, darlings, greed is good.
The decade of Gordon Gekko, Jane Fonda workout videos, Madonna bracelets, big teased hair, and tight leopard minidresses is baaaaaack!
Fashion flashback:
At right, Yasmin LeBon on the cover of Elle in 1985.
Do those opaque tights and bold colors look familiar?


On the Fall 2008 runways, there were copious amounts of torn fishnets, big-shouldered blazers, neon brights, and tiered minidresses.
At right: Balmain

Photos courtesy style.com unless otherwise noted.
Betsey Johnson's entire fall show was a nod to the decade of Wall Street, punk, and coked-out loft parties.

Now where the hell did I put my hair crimper??
The poufy sleeve is resurrected at Erdem . . .
. . . and Chanel Couture
Christian Dior

Bold patterns in fuchsia and matchy-matchy accessories scream: "Fetch my Lamborghini!"
PPQ tiered bustier dress, via nymag.com



(Aside: how fabulous are those mittens??)
House of Holland
Temperley
Twinkle, channeling the Jennifer Beals Flashdance look; photo via nymag.com
Emilio Pucci
Moschino Cheap & Chic



Animal prints and colorful boots always say "I want my MTV!"
Salvatore Ferragamo



Off-the-shoulder looks are pure 80s!
This photo and next 2 courtesy nymag.com
A bold-shouldered blazer might be the way to go!


Ann-Sofie Back
Miami Vice chic at Emanuel Ungaro
J-C de Castelbajac, complete with Rubik’s Cube handbag!


This and next photo via Paris Vogue
Robert Normand – the paint splatter, the bright waist-cincher, totally 80s!







How to be retro-licious and not a fashion vicitim? Limit your 80s nods to one per outfit – a fabulous sequined piece, an off-the-shoulder-blouse, a zippered ankle jean, but not all at once!!
In the shops:
Shiny ankle-button jeans and an armful of bangles say, yay retro! Shop the above look at standardstyle.com



At right:
291 off-shoulder sweatshirt, at shopbop.com
Forever 21 tunic top
Love Yaya Blaze dress. Go to shopbop.com
Paint-splatter brights?
Oh, yes.
Trina Turk Dali dress, at chickdowntown.com
AKA New York twisted leopard print silk dress.

Visit shopkitson.com
T-Bags print one shoulder tiered dress, at shopbop.com
Christopher Deane Sammy silk triangle dress, at Kitson
Karen Zambos Vintage Couture leopard leggings, at shopbop.com













CC is looooooving these diamond pattern tights . . . And they come in 44 different colors!
Visit welovecolors.com.
Forever 21 long checked scarf - what is it about this checkerboard pattern that just makes CC nostalgic for her Run DMC tapes and Benetton rugby??


Marc by Marc Jacobs wristlet intrecciato clutch.

Go to net-a-porter.com.
Oversize shades are the way to go; and you can wear these sunglasses at night!

Super Sunglasses via wwd.com
“Status Sneakers” (not to mention colored jeans!) are back in . . . Photo above courtesy nytimes.com.

At left:
Nine West Lovenyc stiletto bootie
The bright stiletto is allllllll 80s!

At right: Ralph Lauren, Oscar de la Renta and Giuseppe Zanotti Resort shoes;

Below: Proenza Schouler sandal;

both photos courtesy wwd.com
Last but not least, from today’s Sunday Styles, Converse by John Varvatos sequin leggings, $245 at Big Drop.

So put Cyndi Lauper and Wham on your ipod and get to steppin’!

56 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, those leggings! haha.
i'm not a huge fan of eighties inspired prints and colours, but the shapes are great!

wishwishwish.net
x

Fifi Flowers said...

Hilarious... don't forget black lace... Madonna Desperating Seeking Susan look.
Rubics cube purse... CLASSIC!
Love Cyndi... and WHAM... Wake me up before you go go hahahahaha! Oh... and the GO GOs! GOOD MEMORIES... am I showing my age...lol
FUN post!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

I'm all for '80s if it's done right. I love those diagonal coverlines on the French Elle, too. Thanks for this one! I loved it, it brought back memories.

Danz said...

Haha, I love the eighties! As atrocious as some of the styles seem now, all the fun colours, textures, shapes and print are a visual feast! I also love the avant-garde elements of the clothes like the overly exaggerated shoulders and the huge poofy skirts!

Melmo Momoko said...

oh what great stuff!
i really like the eighteens...
great blog

Hanne said...

I must admit that I don't miss the 80's style, but it's nice to bring some elements from it and mix with your own style:)

I hope you've had a nice weekend:) The rain keeps pooring down in Norway...:(

Bombchell said...

OMG WOW!!

they brought it back completely kinks and all. its like pure vintage, without the benefit of "vintage inspired" or "retro." =/ i want the upgraded inspired version.

lol i had an old jane fonda workout tape, and i envied those workout clothes, now those i would be happy with, if my whole gym dressed like that =)

Tricia said...

the 80's interpretations are on the whole so much better than the original! Although Yasmin looks amazing on the cover. Bring back Yasmin!

ZEPETIT said...

Atrevido!

Zepequeña.

Hunters Glory said...

The last pic .....way cool !!!

Reena Rai said...

Very predictable but Balmain was my favourite out of the pics. I'm also strangely drawn to those sequin leggings. I'm sure The Boy will be beyond appalled!

{Tara} said...

What a fabulous collection of goodies! I'm so glad the 80's are back in a big way!

Claudia said...

Oh my, I absolutely love this trend. Maybe i'm going to buy reebok freestyles for this faal after all. Yippee!

Nicole Linette said...

Oh, I love all the neon colors and the checked Marc Jacobs purse! Off-the-shoulder shirts are cute too. And wayfarer shades-- those are definitely the new "it" style for sunglasses!

peace&♥
nicole

Sarah said...

I love the leggings..... I'd never wear them but I'd frame them up and look it it every day!

TINA said...

This look is so fun! The vivid colors, the prints, the shapes, the textures....I probably wouldn't wear a lot of it, but it's so fun and mod!

leeselooks said...

ah love.

I've had a weird fascination with the eighties since I can remember.

I watched Can't buy me love , Sixteen Candles and Girls Just Want to Have Fun until the tapes wore out. Now own all 3 on DVD :)

** love the Miami Vice look- the UNGARO fushcia jacket is amazing.

this post is beyond great!

THANKS girl. perfect.

L.

jess said...

I love that Chanel piece. The color is spectacular. I love the bright colors of the eighties

María Pilar Bernal Maya said...

Such a fantastic post. How many information in it!!!
I specially love shoes.
I´ll go on visiting
Greetings from Spain
;-)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I've never been an 80s girl, but this rebirth is quite cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow I wan't to live in this post!
I love the animal print pieces as well as those tights - I have to get a pair. The bright colours are awesome too - I have so many childhood memories of the 80s I think it was fantastic to be a little girl growing up amongst the exaggerated shapes and neon-bright attire.

Grayburn said...

I'm salivating over all of these beautiful things!

x Grayburn

Kira Aderne said...

i love the colours!the pink is awsome!!

a kiss!!!

FASHION CHALET said...

Your blog is ever an inspiration!!

Thank you so very much, for saying you will be commenting/voting in my honor. I appreciate it more than you can know. :) Thank you!!!

Hunters Glory said...

I also loved the second picture (silver flamed dress)

mysterious style said...

hi my dear!
i love this pink dress Chanel!!!! i love it!!!

she is AMAZING!!! waw

Sienna said...

I can't really see myself pulling off an 80s look (except the modernized leggings) but I love these pictures!!

LCL said...

the diamond tights are killer!
patterned tights always stand out and I hope to get some pretty ones for fall
I saw some really neat ones with tattoo prints that I am still coveting but they are from a European store and are therefore wicked expensive
=[

Seeker said...

Call me weird, call me old lady, but I love the 80's, when well done!!!!!!
I was young in 80's :)
Oh soooo great memories
Thanks for posting this darling.

xoxo

Mary said...

You always find the best picture, I don't know how you do it! I slightly groaned when I saw the title of this post.. I tend to dislike anything that makes me think of the 80s, but I found myself loving most of it. The second picture and the rubics cube purse... Oh so lovely.

Oh, and someone bought a headband saying they saw it on your blog! SO lovely of you! Seriously, I am honestly flattered. You are such a darling.

Mary said...

You always find the best picture, I don't know how you do it! I slightly groaned when I saw the title of this post.. I tend to dislike anything that makes me think of the 80s, but I found myself loving most of it. The second picture and the rubics cube purse... Oh so lovely.

Oh, and someone bought a headband saying they saw it on your blog! SO lovely of you! Seriously, I am honestly flattered. You are such a darling.

Angela said...

OMG, legging. i have printed leggings.... i think i need to dig them out. love the little mini tier dresses and why are animal prints back.... why???

Rina said...

OMG! I get absolutely mad with that Chanel dress! I want it!

Sydney said...

i love that magazine cover!

what amazing colours!

miss vintage love said...

Love the leopard leggings!

Dana (MODAna) said...

HAHA
I am like embarrassed at how much I like the rubic's cube bag!!!
I WANT A RUBIC'S CUBE SUITCASE TOO!!!

Laura in Paris said...

a good post - as usual : creative, well written, great pictures ..

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I'm just happy with a structured shoulder pad!

Sharon S said...

Hi couture carrie-this post is right up my fashion street! love the Trina Turk dress and the sequin leggings-fantastic job!!

Aliena said...

I don't think i can do most of the colours or prints, but i'll try a couple of them... they bring back good memories!

Unknown said...

this is the eighties done right!!! :)

thanks for your comment on our blog!!! we linked you if you dont mind!!!

WendyB said...

That Elle cover is divine. I felt bitter when I saw the sequined leggings in the Times because they're much less expensive than my new sequined pants. Oh well!

Debbie Shiamay said...

I LOVEEE the photos as usual. You choose the most fabulous photos ever!

Marian said...

Well being a child of the eighties I can defo see that that decade is right back on the catwalk.Fab post,
Love the Elle mag cover!
x
Marian

Marian said...

love this post being an eighties child and all..;o)
Totally agree that the eighties are right back in fashion.
x
marian

Ana said...

Fun post.
I'm not a big fan of the 80's aerobics wear and neons but I realized that I like the era more than I though as I do always pile on black lace and bangles a la Madonna.

MakeupByRenRen said...

not to sound like a vh1 show, but "i love the 80s!" especially the bright colors...tights..those shoes are hot!

Sr Q said...

Llevamos mucho tiempo con los ochenta, sin embargo lo que se está viendo últimamente tiene mucho que ver con el LookGym, Montana, Mugler y el vestido corto ajustado, es el paso de transición que va de los últimos ochenta hasta 1992.

Un saludo ;)

Claudia said...

Dear CC,
I hope you make time for this, if not, well, you still got the award:
I 'gave' you a diamond, more details (and the award itself) on my blog.
I know it's nothing new for you because your like, a huuuge inspiration to everyone, you even beat most of the magazines, to me, you are a true style guru, so that's why I don't mind if you don't do the whole thing.

Kisses, Claudia.

♔Jaimie said...

ooo i love that second flamey dress. Is it bad that i love all of our modern takes on the 80s better than the actual 80s? lol we refine it to just the way i like it now adays lol

LuLu124 said...

ooh just lovely!!! the patterns are bold and gorgeous, and yum that dior dress!!! :D xoxo, lulu

Christina said...

I am loving all of the eighties Pieces!

Wuthering said...

that brought back memories of wearing the hot pink bodyglove bathing suits!

Do you remember those? if you do, and you EVER find a picture, i would LOVE for you to bring it my way!!

love the sequined leggings!!! i can remember loving everything sequined until i worked in one store with WAY too much sequin.

Yet, those pants are STILL fabulous!

i'm also loving Mary Kate's shoes! i like the hot pink detailing.

thanks for the great post!!

♥ Marta ♥ said...

80's rocked :) ...

Mónica said...

that Vogue cover is amazing, I love it! the outfit Isabelli Fontana is wearing is so cool! I love the pink blazer

Little Bow Prep said...

Love the Chanel Couture pic. The color is awesome and the design is quite lovely as well.