Friday, August 29, 2008

Xenophile

X is is for xenophile, a person who is attracted to foreign peoples, cultures, or customs. We are fortunate to have designers from across the globe offering the most exquisite pieces this autumn. Some were inspired by their mother lands, while others took cues from abroad. World cultures were celebrated on the fall runways! Argentina, China, Egypt, France, India, Japan, Peru, Russia, Scotland, Spain, the U.K. and the U.S. were represented, among others!
At top of post:
designs by
Alithia Spuri Zampetti,
via The Coveted

Above:
Gucci Autumn ad campaign
At left:

Gucci Fall runway details
Anna Sui
Runway photos courtesy style.com except where otherwise noted.
Chado Ralph Rucci
Chloé
Christian Lacroix Couture
D&G, via nymag.com
Dries van Noten
Duro Olowu
Alexander McQueen,

via nymag.com
Giorgio Armani
Erin Fetherston
Etro
John Galliano
Leonard, via nymag.com
Junya Watanabe
Kenzo;

this image and next courtesy nymag.com


Roberto Cavalli
WHAT TO BUY: IDEAS
- Something Asian-inspired, like a kimono or an origami-fold dress

- An animal print or two
- A Spanish lace piece
- Bead-embellished blouses or bags
- A patterned dress or coat



IN THE STORES
TOPS:
Anna Sui Woodcut Berries print silk voile blouse,

at shopbop.com
Lauren Ralph Lauren Priya animal printed cotton sateen shirt,

$89.50 at ralphlauren. com
Fuzzi embellished floral paisley print top with sequin detail,

at Neiman Marcus
Maharishi blouse.

Visit emaharishi.com
DRESSES
At right:
Anna Sui Moonit Birds sleeveless faux wrap dress with jacquard pattern,

at shopbop.com

Above: Zucca Japanese cupro chiffon shell top.
Visit lagarconne.com.


At right:
T-Bags print knot front dress,
at shopbop.com
Corey Lynn Calter Francesca Navajo silk ruffle dress,
at Kitson Boutique, L.A.
Catherine Malandrino Deep V Southwest color block dress,
at shopbop.com
Above: kimono dress from victoriassecret.com

At left:
Another Important Culture Russian-inspired dress
Forever 21 Hanna Tribal tunic
More literal takes on the trend:


Get Cutie Spanish Ladies dress,
at asos.com
Twenty8Twelve Brittany tank dress.

Go to shopbop.com
ACCESSORIES
Gucci Babouska shoulder bag,

at Bergdorf Goodman
Muxo purple Gramercy bag handmade by Camilla Alves (yes, Matthew McConaughey's baby mama!)

Visit shopkitson.com.
Matthew Williamson beaded shoulder bag, at net-a-porter.com


Which country or culture do you think provided the most inspiration for fall?
Are you a xenophile?

Enjoy the holiday weekend, darlings!

40 comments:

Unknown said...

wow the union jack dress is really my favourite..why do we never find some union jack cool dress in high street?

leeselooks said...

this has to be my favorite post.

the world is so vast and encompasses so many cultures and people.

Fashion is global and i love seeing it represented on the runways.

oh to travel the world...

have a fabulous weekend love!

yiqin; said...

I love the feathers & lace in the outfits! The details are really pretty. I really like the bag wit the fringe too!

Gonzalo Rossello said...

Me encanta las prendas estampadas! Y la coleccion de Gucci para invierno esta muy buena.
Seguramente sera muy clonada.

Saludos!

Aliena said...

absolutely loved this post!!!

Sharon S said...

Hi there-You always come up trumps with gorgeous picks!! I've really grown to adore the Gucci collection, the prints are soo nice and inspirational! have a great weekend!

ZEPETIT said...

Really cute and very tribal!

Have a good weekend!

Zepequeña.

Miranda said...

omgoodness so many beautiful prints. that gucci ad is amazing. i've fallen in love with that dress!

Mimi said...

i love that bohemian touched look a lot.the 2nd pic is awesome.haha and the last pic of the 1st collage made me a bit crazy.i had to look twice.

Da Fashionista said...

love that we are on the same gucci wavelength!

Ruby Hoppen said...

It's such a beautiful book don't you think?!
I like your blog, very picture-intensive!
xxx Ruby

Missa said...

I'm loving the native american inspired looks right now and I like that there are so many different ways to interpret this trend!

Unknown said...

Seriously love the Gucci ads ...so Sonny and Cher. fantastic!

LEESH said...

i am so in love with anna sui's collection... SO MUCH PERFECTION all in one show. ahhhhhhh
xx

WendyB said...

I want the Union Jack one!

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

One of my favourite posts from you yet CC! I am drooling over the Matthew Williamson bag and, of course, entire Gucci collection!

Syed said...

Yum love the foreign inspirations!! I love the designers' take on the foreign as well the original source material for the most parts :)

Siljesfashion said...

Always love to come her for inspiration, your blog is amazing. LOVE the Gucci collection and would do a lot to own one of the dresses..

Reena Rai said...

Very interesting post...I think fashion has got a lot more global in the last few years and is definately represented on the catwalks. Every season there's a new 'ethnic print' en vogue

Mónica said...

I want something wiht paisley, but sometimes is difficult finding the right one and don't look like a poor hippie girl

Lisa said...

I like how the pieces you chose reference cultures without being too obvious and still maintain a very contemporary vibe.

Angela said...

there are lots of ethnic inspired collection this season. You have to check out Gucci Hysteria tote that looks like it is made from a turkish rug.

Sophista-Funk said...

The third dress is amazing. I love the way the fabric swirled at the top into the bodice! Amazing!

-jillian

Sienna said...

Ok, normally I don't like Gucci, but this seasons collection is changing my mind--love it! And that union jack dress is utterly amazing..great find!!

Elizabeth said...

CC, what's your plan when you reach the end of the alphabet?!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Oh, I love this post! I am a total xenophile. It must be a bit of "the grass is greener" or just an interest in anything that seems...exotic (?) but I find every other culture fascinating! I want to visit every country, meet people from all over...I'm a terrible xenophile. ^_^

Tricia said...

thank god for xenophiles, gorgeous!

Clara Sheller said...

Lovely outfits!
I was wondering how could I implement braids in my hair, as I have seen them like the latest fashion...Greek-godess like hairstyles! And who better than you to report thiss trend¡?!

Songy said...

American Indian and south American feel to them I guess. My fav this season is Gucci. absolute "drool" materials.

TINA said...

Probably wouldnt wear a lot of these, but I adore these prints!
You always have the most inspiring and creative posts. :)

michelle said...

How beautiful! I love the word "xenophile" as well :P

Fifi Flowers said...

I like that Spanish cutie dress!

You are almost to the end of the alphabet... what new concept do you have in store for us... hmmmm

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I learned sometimes new today ... the definition of xenophile.I love that fashion does not reflect only one culture but embraces each and everyone :) ... P.S. I'm handing you the torch, check my last for details ... I really hope that you accept it :)

Belowen said...

My favourite print at the moment is floral, but every now and then I fall in love with a really gorgeous abstract print... Amazing post! <33

Lil Midget said...

I must say I love xenophilic creations...They make the most interesting outfits! And thanks for your lovely comments xo

Lindsay said...

thanks for all the great inspiration (yet again!)

Couture Carrie said...

Thanks for all the amazing remarks, darlings!

Enc & Fifi - CC has lots of fun things in store for September once the ABCs are over!!

xoxox,
CC

bronwyn said...

Another awesome post! Loving the Gucci autumn ad campaign.

choppyshades said...

lots of pretty dresses in this post. love it!

Maxie said...

wow, great fashionblog. I've added your link, cause I like staying up to date with the runwaycollections ;)
Bye,

La fille from belgium